Caring for your health properly is so much more than just the basics of eating right and exercise. With current medical research, we have discovered that the body is a complex collection of organs and systems and even bacterial colonies (the microbiome) that greatly impact each other.
While the standard of care hasn’t quite “caught up” yet with most of the current science, conventional doctors and “specialists” are still treating parts of the body separately without taking into account the fact that all these areas greatly impact each other.
When you are healthy, they work together like a symphony in perfect harmony – and you have vibrant health.
But when one of these systems is off balance, the whole symphony is out of tune! When you need a “tune-up” so to speak, not only do you need to look at areas that aren’t working right… but also that the rest of your body is in balance.
Sadly, most patients receive instead medications to treat symptoms associated with a body part that “isn’t working” when in reality, it’s oftentimes a systemic issue that needs to be treated in a completely different way.
In addition, the conventional medical approach also doesn’t consider that each person is born with unique health needs: Based on their genetic factors, the environment they were born into, what kinds of bacteria populate their gut, as well as what they are exposed to as they grow – each person’s body has a very unique health profile which means they need an equally unique healing protocol.
It’s no wonder people go from doctor to doctor and never find the answers to their illness! Conventional medicine is missing the mark when it comes to effectively treating many chronic illnesses caused by aging, environment and diet, hormonal imbalances, and food sensitivities because they often try to treat symptoms with medication. In fact, we find with our patients that while they may share the same symptoms, they frequently suffer from very different imbalances.
That’s why at Peace and Calm Health Functional Medicine, we follow a more modern “functional medicine” approach that incorporates advanced functional lab testing and relies on current nutritional science to help you rebalance and finally heal.
We seek to determine the why and how behind illness and symptoms, with the goal to restore health by addressing the root cause of dis-ease in each person, bringing the body back into balance and promoting optimal wellness.
Instead of simply addressing different symptoms across separate areas, Functional Medicine seeks to treat the underlying root cause – while looking at lifestyle factors such as diet, environment, emotional health, and mindset that often bring on the illness patients are seeking to heal.
Our Functional Medicine programs are a more comprehensive form of care (along with health coaching) to help patients learn how to upgrade their lifestyle – so they don’t remain stuck in the “chronic illness hamster wheel.”
Here are just some of the things we focus on in our programs:
- We prioritize quality over quantity with our patients. We will only make a medical diagnosis after listening carefully to a patient’s medical history, reviewing testing, looking at lifestyle factors that are materially contributing to illnesses, then making a personalized recommendation based on each patient’s unique situation.
- Assessment, natural healing, and prevention are prioritized over wait-and-see treatment approaches.
- Our toolbox is vast. Dr. Horton prescribes natural forms of healing including food as medicine, healing herbs, medical-grade supplements and meditation programs. Health coaching, acupuncture and massage are also incorporated into many treatment plans.
- By testing and not guessing, Dr. Horton will be able to look at your individual physiology and prescribe a holistic wellness plan individualized to your needs.
- Patients are taught how to take a more active role in their own health and will learn up-to-date nutritional science & lifestyle modifications that can boost their health and overall wellness for a lifetime.
- Instead of relying on being prescribed medications again and again for temporary relief, functional medicine doctor Dr. Jennifer Horton, DO and her team at Peace and Calm Health Functional Medicine seek to diagnose problems holistically and arm patients with the modern tools for healthy living.
Take The First Step On Your
Perhaps you have questions you’d like to ask before you make a decision to become a patient. Schedule a discovery call with Dr. Horton to answer your questions and determine if Peace and Calm Health Functional Medicine is right for you.